Friday, December 07, 2007

Here's my skirts, finally.

I finished my new pattern in about a day. I did an excellent job, I think. My mother always says the inside should look as good as the outside, and I just about got it. I had never done an invisible zipper before, so my back seam looks a little wonky. You can see how the back hem dips down. I'm not sure if I like this, so I may whack it off and re-hem.
Front


Back

Here's my loud skirt. It's from a Vogue pattern. I opted to not make the waistband and just made a casing and threaded it with a ribbon drawstring. I like skirts that have a little give :). What I really love about this skirt is that 1) it has deep pockets on the front seams 2) the hem brushes the tops of my feet 3) it was really easy to make. My mother made one for herself out of fabric that was pink with white polka dots. It looked totally different from mine, but really cute. I like versatility. This length was the "Evening" length, so it would be pretty in more formal fabrics, too.

The UGLY skirt.

See, I told you it was ugly. What, you may be asking yourself, did she wear with this? Usually an offwhite sweater and tights and either my tall brown boots or my brown pilgrim shoes(the kind that have a wide strap and buckle).

I lined it with another sheet.

Oddly enough, we had these leaf sheets when I was little.


I had been looking for some cheap alternative fabrics, and sheets are perfect. I purchased these at goodwill. I also keep an eye out for tableclothes and shower curtains and regular curtains on clearance or at the thrift store. If you like the idea of repurposing items check out Craftster(edit: there are questionable avatars and language here). I got a lot of inspiration there.

So there are some of my skirts.

2 comments:

Karenee said...

ROFL Do you really wear the mustard yellow one?

I like the loud one... my kinda fabric.

fiorinda said...

Yes, I really did wear the yellow one. I even wore it to church once. Alas, it was a pre-twins skirt(much to my dh's delight. he hates this skirt). Wearing it with offwhite or brown toned it down a little. And it is only knee length. I figured ankle length might be a little blinding.

If I can find my tablecloth skirt, I'll get a pic of it, it is really pretty.