Thursday, November 29, 2007

Skirts

I found a great skirt pattern tonight. I went to hancock's while the girl was at dance. Here it is. I'll have to make it to see if it looks decent on me, but I love the pleated back. The shirt is actually made from a sweatshirt that is remade and embellished. It's a little foofy for me, but cute. The good thing is that it calls for less than 2 yards of fabric, so I can splurge a little and buy good fabric from the quilting store. My favorite skirt I've made, I haven't made more of because it uses over 4 yds. I got lucky and got some beautiful batik on sale, but it still cost about $25. But I've about worn it out. If I remember I'll take a picture of it and add it here. I call it my loud skirt. I'll have to find my ugly skirt and take a picture, too. Yes, I deliberately made an ugly skirt, and wore it proudly when it still fit. I made it from two sheets I found at goodwill from the 70's. I love skirts. I have one in the works that is a noah's ark graphic from the 70's-80's. I was trying to embellish it, but I may give up and just finish it. I also find a lot of satisfaction in repurposing household items into skirts. I have a skirt made from a tablecloth and one from a shower curtain--both were from the Shabby Chic Line at Target. The fabric was just so pretty. I also made the girl an outfit out of the shower curtain. I'll try to remember to put up pictures, because my ugly skirt is truly a wonder to behold.

3 comments:

Karenee said...

Come visit! I'll let you teach me how to shape and hem my 70's prom dress I was given out of somebody's basement so I can wear it to church. It begs for one of those shell hemlines. *grin*

fiorinda said...

I'd love to come visit! But, ummm, I'm not so good at the hem thing. When my mother was sewing a lot for all the girl grandchildren, she left the hemming to my grandmother(who doesn't otherwise sew). Maybe it's genetic.

What kind of 70's prom dress? I'm intrigued. I'd love to wear vintage clothes, but alas, I am too tall and too large. I occasionally come across vintage patterns at the thrift store in my size, but it is rare.

Karenee said...

Well, I'm not positive it's seventies. I just think it is, because it looks like the dresses my Mom and her friends wore in the old pics. It's really pretty classic, a pink, a-line long dress. It has 1" shoulder straps and a beaded bustline, and it fits like it was made for me. There's another one I like better. It's green and white and has a v-neck, but the sleeves only cover the tops of the shoulders (terminology is running out here). That one was hanging with its hem in water at some time (before I got it), so it really needs to be hemmed up before I can wear it.