Thursday, October 18, 2007

Well, I meant to use this blog. I forget it is here. But since it still gets hits, I guess I'll post.

What is Debbie's World? It is the world in my head. I live there most of the time. What does it look like in my head? There are lots of trees and grassy areas where I can sit on a blanket. There are also swings where I can relax and read a book. The weather is frequently, but not always, beautiful and is usually like an early fall day. It's just cold enough to need a light sweater. There is always a playful wind. Every evening the fireflies dance in and under the trees and the smell of honeysuckle wafts gently across the land. Sometimes there are thunderstorms that make the trees shed the leaves they have held onto for too long. When it rains I retreat to the front porch swing and watch the clouds rolling and the lightning flash. In the past few years there has been a lot of fog. I cannot always see my way to my favorite places because they have been hidden from me. And I stumble around in confusion looking for my remembered places of safety. Sometimes when the fog lifts I find that the landscape has been transformed. And I have to find new places. The transformation always makes my world a better place, but there is still the pain that always comes with change.

Sometimes danger lurks like a cat. Hidden in the grass, waiting to pounce the moment it senses weakness. Usually in the midst of those tranforming fogs, when I know change is going on, it strikes at me with it's harshest weapons--my memories. I remember the way things were and rail against the changes I sense being made. But I have learned that dwelling on the past only delays the transformation and keeps me from finding the peace that once prevailed in my world. But there is always hope in my world and the danger is not the killing kind.

So if my world sounds like a place you are interested in visiting, please stop by from time to time.

An Aside: The idea of Debbie's World started when I was in High school. In art class when we had free time to paint or draw I started drawing pictures of trees and random things and titled them "A _______ in Debbie's World." I seem to recall a penguin living there at one time. Then on my 18th birthday, splitcat, who was at the time my best friend(now my husband) drew me a card titled "Lost on the Plains of Seibbed Dlrow" where he borrowed my tree imagery and added his favorite stick figure carrying a bouquet of flowers and wearing a top hat. It gave me hope that Debbie's World would one day have an inhabitant other than myself. We started going out not long thereafter. Over the years I have had a few other visitors, and now it's your turn.

1 comment:

Karenee said...

I found it! And look... there's a prize!

Nice, emotive post.