Friday, October 26, 2007

This is for Karenee who apparently shares my fondness for unusual shoes

Look HERE for the coolest boots ever(scroll down to the 1910 high boots). If I ever have a spare $700 or so lying around, maybe I'll get them. I meant to include them in my last post but I forgot.

Since I am already being frivolous, Here is a question for you. Why do you wear clothes(other than the obvious). Are your clothes an armor against the world? Do you just wear whatever mostly fits and don't care what it looks like? Do you strive to look like everyone else? Does your style change with the years or are you drawn to the clothes that were popular in your youth? Are your clothes a mask?

I look at clothes as costumes to fit my mood. But I do know how to dress appropriately when the occasion calls for appropriate clothing.

When I was a little girl my dream was to own a "Gunne Sax" dress. I got my first one when I was sixteen. Eventually Jessica McClintock stoppped making the Gunne Sax line, but continued under her name. I have worn a Jessica or Scott McCclintock dress for all the big moments in my life. There was the dress for my sister's rehearsal dinner, the evening gown I wore in the Miss Reflections pageant(yes, I was in a pageant--I was the band representative, the girl they really wanted had already been chosen by the chorus), My favorite dress I wore to the Sophomore dinner, then I wore my 2nd favorite for my sophomore recital. And of course my Wedding dress was a Jessica McClintock, as were my bridesmaids dresses. Alas, Jessica's style no longer mirrors my own. But I try to convince myself to lose weight by promising myself a vintage gunne sax from ebay(these are the neo-edwardian and peasant/medieval dresses from the '70's).

My second favorite clothing line was Laura Ashley. What more dso I need to say. Style, grace, sophistication. That was Laura Ashley to me. Alas, they closed all their stores in the US.

In my mid twenties I was introduced to April Cornell. Very similar to Laura Ashley. Alas, those stores also closed. Ooh, but I just discovered they have reopened their website! What you don't realize is that I just called my mom with this exciting news and we spent a while shopping together over the phone. We share similar tastes.

So my writing time is over. The babies are awake and it's time for lunch. I guess my thoughts on clothes as costumes will have to wait. (I bet you'll be counting the minutes until my next post :))

peace and rowboats

Debbie

2 comments:

Karenee said...

I do agree about the boots. I've always wanted a pair of boots like those Laura Ingalls wore. LOL

My "style" started out on second hand "missionary clothes". I didn't really think about it much, except I've always loved twirly skirts. While dressing up as a kid, I developed a love for princess dresses (not very practical). Anyhow, my clothes never fit quite right and I didn't know what looked good on me.

After a lot of study, I've come up with a sort of style, which is gradually refining into "looking good" on a general basis. It helps that twirly skirts are coming back into style...or passing through style. *grin*

Fashion designers are like a foreign language to me. *laugh*

After a bit of online search, here's a link to a few dresses that I wish I could wear. here
here
and this is probably my favorite

fiorinda said...

I love the last one, too. I've always wanted dresses like the women in the Pre-raphaelite paintings wore.